Thursday, March 29, 2012

THE SHARK CHRONICLES: POSTCARD THE THIRTEENTH

          "You know, I was in Illinois once," Darren told Riley, as he studied the picture of Wrigley Field on the postcard in his hand. "In Springfield, where Lincoln's buried. Great coffee place there." Riley panted for a moment, then swallowed.
          "Coffee tastes terrible." the dog said. Darren chuckled and scruffed Riley's ears for a few seconds before he turned over the postcard to read

DIRTY
(A ballad)


You tell me Chicago is a dirty city
I say you are a dirty liar
Pick up any pigeon and blow hard enough on it
It may just be a dove under all the dust and shit
Name me any other city that burned to the ground
Then rose like a shining phoenix
And the water tower that survived the fire
Is of the whitest hue, no soot from the pyre
The newest icon of this place
Is a spheroid of mirrored metal
You may tell me there are too many cars
But if there were more, we couldn’t see the stars
The winds blow up dust but they also blow it away
Chicago is an Indian word for wild onion
So if you peel away the layers of filth
Through the tears you’ll see beauty itself
You say a walk through the streets
Exposes you to germs and profanity
I say a take a stroll and smell the culture
Hear the languages, study the sculpture
The history here is unclean you claim
Show me a single place in this world untainted
This city grows and it feeds the world
Roots spread, vines splayed, leaves unfurled
Seeds of innovation, kernels of invention
Flowers of knowledge, fruit of art
Growth takes place in the dirt, deep in the soil
Result of care, attention, and toil
Look at the ground, you say,
See the litter and the stains
I say look up and see the sunlight
Setting the buildings on fire bright
You can argue all you want with me
But Chicago to me has no synonymy with dirt-
What’s that? Oh . . . yeah. Politics.
Yeah, you got me there.

No comments:

Post a Comment